Paul,
That is what my oncologist recommended with chemo to enhance the radiation of the proton therapy. I was torn between doing the surgery or just trying the protons with chemo but all doctors recommended that surgery is the best option, especially since the R didn't work the first time. I'm hoping that the hemiglossectomy will remove it all and it will not be needed. I have a feeling that it will be recommended anyway which means I will have to travel to NJ instead of staying in NYC. I don't mind the travel but I am concerned about the effects of having radiation for a second time. I am told that my jaw is very fragile now after having the external and internal radiation. What is carboplatin? Also, It's very difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the cancer because it's in the nerve and previously microscopic. I won't know if I still have microscopic cancer until after my August 5th surgery. Please keep your fingers cross that my margins will for once come back clear.

Tongue Cancer 2004- biopsy irritated skin, 2014 biopsy precancerous, February,2014 partial glossectomy- diagnosed with microscopic cancer- April 2014- partial glossectomy- microscopic cancer /cancer in nerve, June 2014- external radiation July, 2014, brachytherapy, July 2015 biopsy- cancer (about 2 cm)/also in nerve moved more toward front of tongue, August 2015 Hemiglossectomy reconstructed with arm flap 2/3 tongue removed