Thank you Alpaca for writing back. My doctors decided that because my cancer was microscopic it would respond well to radiation. The brachytherapy, which is a temporary seed implant of radiation was suppose to be the "icing on the cake". I experienced having a tracheotomy during that procedure and had to learn to clean the trach on my own due to being isolated for several days. I had all my radiation in June/July and went back to teaching in September for the 2014-2015 school year. I am very fortunate to work in a classroom that requires two teachers and a maximum of 20 students, I had the most supportive co-teacher and amazing and loving students. I truly believe that because I was talking/reading aloud each day my speech improved more and more throughout
the year.

It seems that I will now be having a hemiglossectomy because the doctors will also be using skin from my forearm to reconstruct my tongue. I'm afraid because it's in the nerve it has traveled more than the eye can detect. My oral surgeon was able to show me about how much will be removed but as I have learned from past surgeries you don't know exactly until they're actually working on your tongue. My MRI has shown that it has grown now to about 2cm. I'm hoping that the external radiation/brachy wasn't for nothing and has at least removed the microscopic cancer.

Alpaca, it makes me feel more confident knowing you were able to go back to work after having the hemiglossectomy. My most important concern right now is getting rid of the cancer, but my heart is in the classroom. Im confident in my oral surgeon/reconstructive surgeon to give me a tongue to work with. I just hope that this is the last time I have to go through surgery and ALL of the cancer is removed. I wish you all the best as well.

If anyone else has had or heard of someone with cancer in their nerve or has had a hemiglossectomy I would be really interested in hearing your or their story.

Tongue Cancer 2004- biopsy irritated skin, 2014 biopsy precancerous, February,2014 partial glossectomy- diagnosed with microscopic cancer- April 2014- partial glossectomy- microscopic cancer /cancer in nerve, June 2014- external radiation July, 2014, brachytherapy, July 2015 biopsy- cancer (about 2 cm)/also in nerve moved more toward front of tongue, August 2015 Hemiglossectomy reconstructed with arm flap 2/3 tongue removed