Quick update: They have been giving me 2 liter saline infusions through a IV to keep me hydrated. Today - the final day of rads - they found I had a low grade fever on checking in for the saline. Combined with remarkably low white blood cell counts from Monday's lab work they are taking it all quite seriously. What this means in a practical sense is that after I finished up the last radiation treatment this afternoon I was admitted as an inpatient. Preliminary diagnosis: neutrophyllic infection. This means they don't know the precise location of the infection and are goin to use the next couple of days to isolate the source and develop a targeted treatment plan. Meanwhile they have me on a general purpose IV anti-bacterial drug, plus one to address the "flush" that has developed alongside the mucocitis in my throat. Plus my old friend oxycodone.

There is a certain amount of symmetry with this turn of events because my treatments kicked off with a 2-night hospital stay to recover sufficiently from the tonsillectomy. Lookin' like another 2-night stay to get this figured out.

Many rivers to cross, huh?

Peter, age 62 at Dx
3/27/15 Dx T2N2aM0 Tonsilar P16+ G3 SCC
4/6/15 Full PET clear except for above
4/24/15 TOLM tonsillectomy/clear margins. Neck dissection 20 nodes (1 w/cancer & extracapsular extension)
5/28/15 PEG in
5/27 - 7/10/15 Daily Radiation to 66 units cumulative; Cisplatin weekly X 7
8/24/15 PEG out
9/24/15 Full body PET - N.E.D.
12/22/15 CT and physical exam. Continued clear.
3/11/16 Physical exam. Continued clear.
7/12/16 One year post-treatment! CT clear.
7/7/17 2 years post - still clear