Kate, thanks for the update. Im very glad you have a good oral surgeon for your husband! Its very important to pay close attention to dental care, especially during and after rads. If your husband hasnt had flouride trays made yet, this should be done right away.

If your husband is able to eat, now is the time for him to eat all his favorites. Rads will have a big impact on his ability to eat and drink. The best thing you can do to help minimize the radiation side effects is to concentrate on what is within your husbands and your control... his intake. This is something I cant stress enough! Every single day he needs at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. If he can take more in that will only help make this easier. When I went thru this, the others urged me to watch my intake and I failed miserably causing more hospitalizations and suffering than I thought was ever possible. Please be a better listener than I was and begin right away with pushing your daily intake to meet the minimum numbers.

Stick with us and we will help you both get thru the upcoming weeks of rads and recovery.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy