In addition to Paul's excellent questions, The PREVENTION section of this article will be of interest to you: http://www.researchgate.net/profile...dible/links/0c960515ea3c62bcb3000000.pdf

A dentist/oral surgeon familiar with oral cancer at a major cancer center is most important. We have gotten conflicting advice - In general, healthy teeth are not extracted pre-radiation. However, wisdom teeth present additional problems due to their size and difficulty keeping the area clean. The only complaint I have with our RO is that he sent us to our general dentist for pre-tx dental evaluation, instead of stressing the need to contact an expert.

As you can see from my signature, one wisdom tooth had to be extracted post tx, leading to early stage ORN. I believe this can also happen without an extraction, although rarer. My husband received induction chemo, probably another risk factor for developing ORN.

If you go to search box (upper right side) on the forum page and enter ORN, you will find discussions related to the frustration of dental advice & care for oral cancer patients.

It is difficult in the midst of an already anxious time. I wish you the best.

Lottie

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016