You are not whining. It's not very nice surgery even if it's just a sewn up excision. It takes a while to get over the neck dissection so even if the tongue surgery is quite small you're looking at a couple of weeks for things to be back in working order. I've always healed quite nicely and I'm sure you will too.

I'm one of a very small group who get recurrent primaries so don't freak out when you see my signature. My first oral cancer was minor with no neck dissection. It was an over night stay in hospital from which I recovered quickly. But a neck dissection involves a bit of drainage so might take a wee bit more hospital time.

I've found with both neck dissections that I have had to do the prescribed head and neck exercises religiously to get full movement in neck and arms back but each time it has come right.

It's amazing how we heal and the body adapts. Enjoy your food before you go in because you'll be on soft food for a little while. I'm falling asleep so hope this makes sense. All my best wishes, Maureen

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.