Hello Pam,
You remind me of myself in some ways. I, too, would read the posts but yet never join in. I was in denial for a long time. Also while some people have a "need to know" what's going to happen during and after treatment, I was the opposite, I didn't want to know.
I totally understand what you mean about the nutritionist. I never saw mine but she phoned twice and sent literature. She suggested things like "try adding ice cream", even though I told her that it was very 'bitter' tasting and that I couldn't tolerate it. Then she added "try a different flavor of ice cream", dah, don't you think I tried that too. Also she would suggest things that were difficult for me to swallow. Most people can't grasp the concept of what this is like, they don't have a clue. It would certainly be a relief to speak with someone who has been there.
Start your classes in January, you'll be glad you did. Don't worry about age, it doesn't matter. As long as you are doing something constructive and fulfilling then go for it. The fact of studying and being tested on food groups doesn't bother you? I mean, you wouldn't find it depressing at all in view of the fact that you can't eat certain things? At any rate, wishing you all the best. Barbara

unknown primary, one node,left neck radical dissection, 3 chemo, 33 rads. treatment ended 6-15-05