Bud,
Great advice from two very Knowledgeable people here. My first tube, eight years ago became a great friend the last few weeks of my treatment. When I completed, I only thought I was done! Radiation, the gift that keeps on giving, just kept going with the sores, trismus, lack of saliva, and thick stringy mucous! I was challenged by my oncologist/surgeon to gain six pounds on my own and tube could come out. What a challenge! I had that thing for several months before I was "Normal" enough to have it removed. We are all different but there are usually reasons for this type of decision, usually for our well being. Going into this latest fight I am in they didn't even have to push me. I had lost enough weight I knew I was going to be in trouble quick if I didn't (Plus my swallowing is in bad shape due to nerve damage this last go around). Formulate some questions and ask your doctor their thoughts on why you need to keep the tube if you're adamant about losing it. I would think they have some good reasoning behind it.

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****