Erbitux is used as maintenance chemo here also, maybe not as many on this site, but seen a few elsewhere. One of my oncologists was thinking about Erbitux long term for myself a few years ago, usually at least 6 months, but I was eventually treated elsewhere, so that never happened, but did have curative treatment with 6 weeks Erbitux, Taxotere and radiation. The long term effects are just about the same as short term with the skin rash, and others, which may or may not occurr. The facual rash is a strong indicator it is working.

The first infusion is usually a loading dose, around 400mg, and subsequent infusions around 200mg, depending on height and weight. Benadryl is usually infused before to reduce allergic reactions, side effects. You will be closely monitored during your initial infusions since there is a very rare chance that some have a severe allergic reaction or heart failure during that time.

http://www.erbitux.com/index.aspx

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/erbitux.aspx

Your initial chemo with Cisplatin sounds like Induction Chemo, also called neoadjunctive therapy. It was initially PF, and then TPF, Taxotere, Cisplatin and 5-FU, 25 years ago, but there are others now added or replaced in this chemo cocktail. I didn't do too well with this in 2009, but it killed all my cancer after 5 days of infusions, but may not last, and my tonsil cancer never returned, lymph nodes did.

A year after Erbitux, I had Carboplatin along with Proton Radiation.

Good luck

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI