QueenKong I saw a series of counsellors, social workers, psychologists and a psychiatrist. All for different reasons, and with mixed success. The best ones are the ones who know what you're going through. The generic psychologist or GP only has a cursory knowledge of what its actually like. As Alpaca said much of what they can do for you is being relaxed and less anxious, because when all the crazy things are happening to your body it can be unsettling, scary at times, especially when you are in a painkiller induced fog.

As for needing a nurse, no, a caregiver yes. You will have very little energy for housework, preparing meals etc. I saw the nurses every day during treatment, and the best thing was to go to them with each new symptom as things changed, and they usually had an idea which made it easier.

As for bad habits with food, the only bad habit is not eating enough. Eat it all now, sugar, fat, salt, whatever you like. Because soon enough you won't want any of it. But listen to Christine on this, she learned the lesson before most of us. Most of us can afford to lose a few pounds and when the appetite goes and the weight drops off it is natural to think "I'll just drop to my ideal weight and start eating again". Its not that easy, and your body needs that nutrition to repair, especially later in the treatment and early into the recovery, when its hardest to eat.

Don't forget the water too. Get those kidneys working and get that poison out of you.

Chemo and rads are a tough road but its very doable. When you find yourself sitting on the floor of the shower at 2am crying, take some solace that you're not the first and that happier days are ahead. Post here whenever you like, there is usually someone online somewhere in the world who has been through exactly the same thing and is happy to help you.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.