Try to hang on to all the positive news and positive possibilities you see and hear . . . like the doctors saying he will be ok. That in itself has got to be something concrete to make you feel better. I still worry about my son and every minor thing that I see him experiencing. I've learned to give those 3am worry attacks of "What Ifs" a time limit and then make myself go on to something positive or I get up and do something physical. Instead of stressing over the long list of things that could go wrong (and most likely will never happen), get yourself a list ready of all the positives that could go Right. My son was a lot older than your brother when he got SCC and he's been cancer-free for over 8 years now! Your brother has youth on his side and has every reason to believe in the excellent doctors who are treating him and so should you. So start making your "happy" list for the next time the "what ifs" attack. And come back here often, no matter the time of day or night. It helped me and will help you.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)