Larry, John was unable to swallow for two years -- starting from the third week of radiation and lasted until recently. He was on the tube all that time. He would have a feed (one box) every two and a half hours. There was one feed when he had to do one and a half boxes. This way he was able to take in six and a half boxes a day. I made up a spreadsheet with the feed times and the meds he should be taking for him to keep track of his feeds. We would bring feeds with us on doctor's visits because it is a two hour drive one way. We will come out of the doctor's office, do a feed in the car and drive home. This was one way we could get all the feeds in with all the medical appointments and not get too far behind.

I made sure we brought hand sanitizer with us in our 'kit' so we would have clean hands. We also brought bottled water (to use with the feed), a pill crusher, a small towel (to protect the clothing in case we spilled anything). I put everything in a ziplock bag so that I would know I had everything together.

I hope this helps. if you need more information, please do ask.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.