Thanks for the tips Christine. I did ask the surgeon if he would be able to talk with the trach and they said yes of course. I will verify that it is this type of trach.

Cheryl, your detailed experience is very helpful. I've been researching the procedure, but nothing is like a first hand account. I actually told my dad about your scenario and I think it made him feel better. The idea of removing part of your tongue is daunting. My dad doesn't speak much English and he never heard of tongue cancer before so it was shocking to say the least when the dr detailed the procedure. Of course he didn't detail the specific recovery that you did.

I think his biggest concern is the trach. It seems like that is the least liked part of the process for many, I'm a little scared because he may be alone at times (i work full time and my mom doesn't drive) and with the inability to speak I get worried that he may not be helped or he may panic, be in pain, etc.

Aside from that, my concern is his swallowing thereafter. Cheryl you mentioned removing 1/2 to 1/3 of your tongue. Did that include any back portion of your oral tongue?

Van paddler, thank you for your account as well. It's encouraging that you speak and eat well despite the surgery. I think that's always everyone's biggest fear. Did you go to speech and swallow therapy? How soon after surgery were you eating? Dad's surgeon says they test swallowing at 14 days. Does that mean he won't eat at all before then?

I'm curious about the tongue swelling. My dad already had a neck dissection with his first surgery so I am aware of that and how it comes and goes due to lymph system. Does the tongue heal relatively quickly?

Caregiver to father
DX:4/14 Surgery:5/14 resection, ND
TX: 33 IMRT complete 9/14
Scan: 10/14, suspicious area tongue & neck.
Biopsy confirmed SCC BOT 2nd Primary, right lateral tongue.
11/14: surgery partial glossectomy, pec flap, trach, NG tube, ND
12/14: debridement surgery, small area removed for clear margins
12/14: biopsy positive for SCC dermal metastasis
1/15: chemo: erbitux, taxol and carboplatin
3/15: 5FU, Erbitux
8/15: enrolled in PD-1 Immunotherapy
9/15: Heaven got a new angel <3