I really don't know where to begin. On August 20, 2014, we arrived at the Mayo Clinic to treat osteomylitis. He was on three different types of antibiotics to treat the infection. He even had several different types of IV antibiotics but nothing was working. He lost most of his bottom teeth. He only has 4 teeth left. The Drs said it must be resistant to anti biotics and the infectious disease guy will have to exam him and find the correct antibiotic to use. It started with one lump. But it turned into several lumps. The Drs in our home town said it was from the infection. But within the first five minutes of our appt at the Mayo Clinic, the Dr. said it was a tumor. They began testing. CT scans, MRIs, PET scans and x-rays. By the end of the day it was confirmed, it is cancer. My boyfriend was just diagnosed with Oral Cancer Stage IV. It was not an infection eating away his jaw bone. It was cancer. As I'm sitting in the office listening trying to fight back the tears, I'm thinking I'm not ready for this. We are going to have surgery to remove the tumor, cancer, part of his tongue, his jaw bone, all his teeth. Then radiation for six weeks. He is gonna have a feeding tube. He is gonna be disfigured. He won't be able to talk the same. I love him so much but he doesn't really talk about how he is feeling. I don't know how to help him. What's gonna happen??????

Last edited by notready4this; 08-22-2014 11:21 PM.

He has oral cancer stage IV. Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I don't know if I'm ready for this. Diagnosed on 8/20/2014. I don't know what to do to help him.