Welcome to OCF! You found us at a very good time. We will be able to help guide you thru the next few weeks which are the hardest part of this whole thing. We have been there and understand just how horrible your husband feels right now.

The very best thing you can do to help your husband is to pay very close attention to his intake. I know he feels awful and wants to quit but he cant! I was in that same dark place towards the end of my treatments and I tried to quit but my son and nurse wouldnt hear of it. At that point I was in a wheelchair from malnutrition and dehydration which turned into hospitalization. Every single day starting now push your husbands intake to be at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water daily. No skimping! Not even for one day as one day quickly turns into a downward spiral leading to feeling even worse. Ask the doc tomorrow for a prescription to get hydrated a few times per week in the chemo lab. I guarantee your husband will immediately feel better after getting a couple bags of fluids. If you can get 3000 or even 3500 calories into your husband that will help him even more. I know it sounds like way too much but for what he is going thru, its not. Make sure he swallows every day several times a day too. Even small sips of water will help keep the swallowing muscles active and working.

Dont fret about missing the third round of chemo. Most of us who had it done with the 3 big dose method werent able to handle the 3rd one. Chemo assists the radiation, alone it wont eliminate the cancer. This is beyond your or your husbands control so try not to second guess it.

The next few weeks are going to be difficult. Radiation keeps working even after the treatments end. Your husband will feel pretty lousy for a good 2 or 3 weeks after his treatments finish. Recovery is a loonnngggggg road! Its full of ups and downs with a few good setbacks thrown in for good measure. After about the 3rd week post rads your husband will wake up one day and feel a little better, this is what we call crawling out of the tunnel. Its a frustrating time for everyone. Being well cant happen quickly enough and the setbacks can get depressing.

As a caregiver you have your hands full. Make sure to take some time to be good to yourself. We are here to support not just your husband but you too. We understand just how hard it is for both of you.

Hang in there and good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy