Yes, I waited 2 months from the point of being diagnosed with Stage IV OC, needing a mandibulectomy. My doc allowed me to select my date of surgery and I insisted on waiting until after my son's birthday.

The surgery is a very long one, 10-12 hours (possibly even longer). This can create scheduling issues for clearing the OR schedule. One doc needs to reserve the room for a good 12 hours.

Try not to second guess things. It only causes extra unneeded stress which isnt good for either of you. While waiting, keep busy by making the most of your time. I took my kids zip-lining, rock climbing, 10+ mile bike rides, hit every carnival and fair in the area, went to the movies, even the drive-in movies. I worked hard to stay very busy so it would keep my mind from worrying about things that I could not control. I was determined to make the best summer for my children "just in case". I wanted to be sure if things didnt go as planned they always would remember their mother as a fun, happy person who took everything in stride and made the very best out of any situation. I know its so hard waiting, Ive been there too.

Hang in there!!!

PS... If pain is an issue, speak to the doctor and get that in line. Being in pain is not productive to anything positive at all. Make sure he is comfortable but not too doped up to function as normally as possible.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma