Posted By: jldljones waiting another month for treatment! - 07-08-2014 09:52 PM
I am the "manager" of this situation, this disease and everything else that goes along with it. My husband was diagnosed on 6/14 with squamous cell in his lower right jaw. It has apparently eaten away most of the bone mass and he needs to have his right side jaw removed and a "radial forearm free flap" to replace it. Since diagnosis his chin has gone numb and the Dr indicated that the cancer has probably effected the nerve. The PET scan indicated that it has only spread to the lymph nodes on that side. - We were given tentative surgery dates of 7/16 but now are told that they want to set us to August 13th. I am scared to death about the delay. Does anyone else have experience with waiting 2 months to START any kind of treatment? I just want to get this show on the road - nothing is going to get better till we start getting it done. And so he gets to sit here miserable in pain for another month just waiting...?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: waiting another month for treatment! - 07-08-2014 10:01 PM
Yes, I waited 2 months from the point of being diagnosed with Stage IV OC, needing a mandibulectomy. My doc allowed me to select my date of surgery and I insisted on waiting until after my son's birthday.

The surgery is a very long one, 10-12 hours (possibly even longer). This can create scheduling issues for clearing the OR schedule. One doc needs to reserve the room for a good 12 hours.

Try not to second guess things. It only causes extra unneeded stress which isnt good for either of you. While waiting, keep busy by making the most of your time. I took my kids zip-lining, rock climbing, 10+ mile bike rides, hit every carnival and fair in the area, went to the movies, even the drive-in movies. I worked hard to stay very busy so it would keep my mind from worrying about things that I could not control. I was determined to make the best summer for my children "just in case". I wanted to be sure if things didnt go as planned they always would remember their mother as a fun, happy person who took everything in stride and made the very best out of any situation. I know its so hard waiting, Ive been there too.

Hang in there!!!

PS... If pain is an issue, speak to the doctor and get that in line. Being in pain is not productive to anything positive at all. Make sure he is comfortable but not too doped up to function as normally as possible.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: waiting another month for treatment! - 07-09-2014 01:40 PM
Your description of the damage already done seems extensive so I'm surprised they are pushing him back another month. I would push to get answers.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: waiting another month for treatment! - 07-09-2014 02:20 PM
We waited six weeks after diagnosis for radiation and chemo. That is a target set by our provincial government. The time passed fairly quickly as there was so much that needed to be done prior to treatment commencing.
Posted By: PaulB Re: waiting another month for treatment! - 07-09-2014 03:26 PM
I've always had to wait. Living in a city where things can happen in a minute, treatment, surgery doesn't always go that fast, and also depends on how busy the doctor or hospital is. Sometimes it's better to delay, for various reasons, since whatever is done can't be taken back. On the other hand, cancer can progress quickly in a short time, and was always anxious to start, not that I even wanted it. I vaguely remember hearing there was some sort of guideline for a max two month time wait to start cancer treatment by CMS (Medicare, Medicaid), which was changed to 30 days?

Good luck.
Posted By: missyp Re: waiting another month for treatment! - 07-12-2014 11:19 PM
I would suggest you gauge and or push for sooner based on your husband's pain level. My husband waited 30 days for his mandibulectomy surgery and the last week and half was very painful for him. If he's not in pain, have as much fun as he can and wait it out. If he's in alot of pain, then the sooner the better
Posted By: jldljones Re: waiting another month for treatment! - 08-26-2014 01:41 PM
We are 3 weeks post surgery. Surgery was done on August 1 after I had a "fit". The cancer was more extensive than they had hoped but they believe they removed everything. He is set for radiation and chemo consults tomorrow. Dr said he will defiantly be receiving radiation as it was in one lymph node and surrounding his facial nerve. Thank you for you kind words and encouragement.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: waiting another month for treatment! - 08-26-2014 09:54 PM
Sometimes a "fit" is necessary, unfortunately. Three times in my cancer experience I've had to have a major meltdown to break through that implacable medical wall. Surgeons are fabulous and save our lives but sometimes we are our own best advocates:)Great news that they think they removed everything. A good base for the radiation and chemo if he has that as well.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum