First off RULE #1....Always keep in mind that all of us can react differently to even the same Tx.

That said, most of us that had concurrent Cisplatin (3 times) and radiation did not experience the worst of times until after the 2nd chemo or appx 15 days into radiation. It will continue to get worse and perhaps much much worse until about the 3rd week POST TREATMENT. I'm a CPA and own my own firm and I basically stopped working during that 7 week period ( week 4 during Tx till week 3 post Tx) but I had the luxury of my employees pretty much picking up my slack and I sent a letter to all my clients before my Tx began telling them what I was about to do and telling them I had no idea how it would affect me. During this stay at home period I first tried to use my home computer linked to mu office but I found my concentration was suffering and I didn't want to make a critical costly mistake to any client so I just stopped trying to work and devote all my energies to surviving the Tx.

A very small percentage of us have been able to work straight through so let's hope you are one of them but don't think anything negative if you can't. Refer back to Rule #1.

Some get the Cisplatin in 6 weekly doses vs the 3 bag method and they seem to have less "issues" that way but remember Rule #1.

You may start to experience some relatively minor problems from day 1. You will likely loose your taste early on but you MUST consume tons of calories and water from now thru at least your first year of recovery. By tons I personally would shoot for 2500 to 3000 calories and at least 48 ozs of water each and every day. You may eventually go on a strictly liquid diet when the pain from swallowing becomes too great for solids. Not having your taste also contributes to a lack of desire to eat.

Check out Fluoride Trays with your dentist. I wore those suckers from a month pre Tx until 5 years post Tx. My teeth were good going in and I haven't had any problems post Tx so far.

Get your TSH level checked pre Tx and remember your unique number in case your thyroid craps out a few months post Tx due to the radiation.

Watch for "ringing" in your ears as the Cisplatin can cause permanent hearing loss and that "ringing" is the first sign of damage. Tell your MO ASAP if that happens. They describe it as "ringing" but for me it was more like a very faint buzzzz.

Do ask tons of questions, that's what we are here for.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.