Everyone recovers at their own pace. Food will taste terrible for weeks after rads ends. Try not to get too far ahead of yourself with worrying about recovery. Focus on today and getting enough calories and water in. That must be the priority, everything else comes second.

The formula is nutritionally balanced enough to sustain the patient for however long they need it. Losing 34 pounds is alot! That means he is burning up way more calories than he is taking in. This is not a good sign, his intake must increase right away. Push for a little more like 3200-3500 calories. No, it is NOT too much even though it sounds like alot. Dont lose sight of water intake and hit at least 48 oz, hopefully more like 64 oz daily. For a bigger sized person he should take in extra fluids. Dont forget about the chemo lab being a resource to get extra hydration. You will need a prescription from his doc. The extra hydration will make him feel a little better. I always felt like a new person walking out after being hydrated.

How about making some milkshakes to help to soothe his sore throat? I used to make a chocolate peanut butter shake that had tons of calories.

(All measurements are estimates)

Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder
(check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk to thin it down to what works best for you.

Easy to Eat Food List

Keep encouraging him to drink every single day, even if it hurts. He will have far bigger problems if his swallowing muscles arent used every day. They very quickly forget how to function normally. Trying to relearn how to swallow after not using those muscles for days or even weeks is not easy to do. I was one who didnt have the luxury of a caregiver to help me and I spent way too much time sleeping in bed instead of paying attention to intake and swallowing. This caused me to never again eat a proper meal after going thru rads. I know it hurts, push him to swallow a few sips of water at least 3 or 4 times a day. Only a few sips will keep those muscles working properly and help him to avoid problems later.

I know this is not easy. Ive been there and tried to quit. My son and nurses refuse to entertain that plan. Now is when being a caregiver is only beginning to be the hardest. I hate to say this but the next few weeks things will get even harder. Even when rads is over it continues to work making the patient feel lousy. Hang in there and dont forget to take a few minutes for you once in a while.

Best wishes!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy