The team who work those machines work very closely together and its not unusual for minor adjustments be made. Once the patient is in place an xray is done before every treatment to make sure they are in exactly the same position every time. I know its a very foreign and unnerving experience but there is a lot involved in the planning process that we don't see. The protocols for running those machines is quite involved and it not like slapping a burger on the grill, although thats what Larry might feel like sometimes!

ENTs arent renowned for their bedside manner, but even the quirky ones I've come across know what they are doing. I Googled mine, found out he was actually a professor, very highly regarded academically and by his peers as a top surgeon. But within 5 minutes of meeting him I wanted to punch him in the mouth!

Its a lot to take in, and you have a way to go yet. My treatment finished a couple of weeks ago, and I've seen a number of patients recently in the same boat, some went better than others. You'll see and hear this advice all over this forum, and the medics have probably given you this as well.

1. Eat and drink as much as you can, while you can.
2. Bicarb mouthwashes 4-6 times a day.
3. Sorbolene on the neck 4-6 times a day (not less than 1 hour before treatment) and use sorbolene as soap, at least around the neck.
4. Get a notebook and start writing down when you take what meds, temperature. Its very helpful for preventing missed doses (memory can get a little foggy) and its good if Larry has to be admitted to emergency for something.
5. Do the swallowing exercises. Tongue presses, jaw stretches, effortful swallows. These help later on.
6. Write down changes that happen and talk to the medics about them. Oral thrush, tinnitus and constipation are things you want to get on top of early.

There are others, but if I was sending a letter to myself 6 weeks ago, thats what I'd write so I hope you find that useful with Larry. I'd also say to remember my wife is amazing and I couldn't have done it without her. Best of luck to you both.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.