Greetings,

I came across this website only a few days ago. I just heard back after my second biopsy (first was inconclusive) that I'm confirmed with a cancerous mass in the base of my tongue; presumed HPV related; still waiting for the full details of the biopsy. Stage IV so it's large/advanced.

I'm quite eager to hear what advice and information you would like to give me. This all began less than two months ago. I went to the doctor complaining of pain in my ear and a noticeable lump in my neck. The lump is a lymph node and not the mass itself by the way. I also had been having trouble swallowing but didn't put it all together until the sonogram led to a CT scan which led to an MRI which warranted biopsy(s) and, well... here we are.

I'm 47, male, in decent over-all health. Drink moderately, non-smoker, carrying a few more pounds than I'd like; nothing dramatic.

My first oncologist (who performed the non-conclusive first biopsy - it was done with me fully sedated; the second was a needle sample taken through the side of my neck with me anesthetized but awake) already had recommendations for me before we knew the first biopsy was still inconclusive. They include a surgical consultation (though he feels because it's embedded in the base of my tongue I would not be a good surgical candidate) and a consultation with a radiation oncologist. With the help of my girlfriend we learned of a Photon Therapy clinic in the area (Scripps - San Diego) and I have an appointment with a doctor there as well.

To be clear, at this moment, I'm aware because of the biopsy that my mass is cancerous but still awaiting the full details. The doctors suspect it will be HPV related but this has not been confirmed. And it has been referred to as stage IV due to its size.

It's all a bit crazy but I think I'm doing OK psychologically. I'm divorced with two teenage children. The kids have not yet been told but my ex knows, my girlfriend, my parents and a few friends and co-workers. I'm holding off making a general announcement or the like until I learn more about the different treatments and perhaps make a decision - seems more hopeful that way. (Not that I'm not hopeful; I just hate giving bad news.)

OK, so how's that for a start? I'll fill in the details as they become available but the wheel's still in spin.

Paul

Dx at age 47 (in 2014-06), non-smoker.

2014-06 biopsy confirms SCC in BoT w/ HPV16+, Stage T4aN2M0
main tumor plus 2 nearby lymph nodes; bilateral; no metastasis?

2014-07-01 single molar (#3) extracted

2014-07-21 IMRT (35x) and Cisplatin (3x) have begun

2014-09-05 IMRT and Cisplatin finished! (only had 2x Cisplatin - weeks 1 and 4)

2014-09 to 2014-12 Recovery. I think I can...

2014-12 follow-up PET/CT scan is negative. All clear!

2016-05 all subsequent PET/CTs negative.