Hi LuckyJenni,

It's been my experience with a bunch of different chemo agents that they all are very capable of causing neuropathy where ever they find an opportunity.

Hearing and sensation in the extremities are prime examples, and the warnings you get from your medics are not always adequate to warn you about the extent of the symptoms involved.

I was told to be watchful for, and promptly report any "tingling sensations" in my fingers and toes, but not to watch of "strange and inexplicable" sensations in other parts of my feet.

I did notice that when I got in bed, it felt like the bed linens were crushing my toes and that when wearing shoes, it felt like I had something like a twig or a wrinkle in the shoe-lining between my sock and shoe; yet when I took my shoe off to check, nothing was there. Coupled with the sensations in bed, I decided that the shoes were too tight. Brilliant, I know.

Anyway, I figured it all out long after it was too late to do anything about it and have simply adapted to the sensations.

I've also experienced a "functional loss" of about 50% of my hearing, and have actually experienced significant loss of function in the muscular sheath surrounding my colon! With the latter issue, I already had significant loss there but from physical damage from decades ago.

My advice from all this is this:

Take any warnings about neuropathy VERY seriously;

If you are unsure AT ALL about any part of such warnings, ASK for a detailed explanation of the warning and do not stop doing that until you are satisfied that you understand them;

Be very vigilant for changes in your normal perceptions and report any weirdness ASAP.

Then, let it all go, you've done everything you can so be serene, it will all work out. None of it is life-or-death in scope or impact.

Good luck to you and your dad!

Bart

Last edited by Bart; 05-21-2014 09:29 AM.

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!