Hi there... Welcome and sorry you have to be here.
Likely they will want to remove your tonsil assuming the biopsy confirms cancer. Then they will want probably set you up for radiation 6-7 weeks daily weekends off - and possibly 3 or 6 rounds of chemo (during rads) this depends on the chemo - often it is cisplatin - this is only effective in conjunction with rads -the other options are carbo, or Erbitux. Carbo is simply an older version of cisplatin. It's 3 large bags or 6 smaller weekly doses.

Radiation sucks but it's doable. Eat up now. It burns the crap out of you inside so eating gets hard and taste checks out around week 4 -the first few weeks are ok. The last 2 are not fun and the two weeks after suck. Then slowly you feel better.

You may need a peg (feeding tube) but do swallow during treatment even if it's just sips of warm water.

Mostly nutrition and hydration is important. You will get through this... You'll need a good cream for your neck. I own a waterpik - it's awesome and I bought it during treatment. You will have severe lack of saliva after treatment (this is after the really brutal thick mucous you have at the end of treatment.

Chemo for me wasn't too bad but it runs the gamut - for others. The best thing you can do is stay on top of your food and fluid, and up your protein to promote healing.

That was my crash course to you. Hugs.... Read up on the fall out. There are some horror stories but usually it's doable. Take care - oh and most importantly if you can seek out treatment at a top CCC and make sure your ENT is experienced at treating oral SCC.

Last edited by Cheryld; 04-17-2014 10:00 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan