Bruce, I think you are doing fine on the timeline.. I recall my doctors guidelines was to start Rads within about 6 weeks of surgery. Similar to you, the surgeon was exceptional, I could tell from his knowledge, experience, honesty, etc.. He was confident of the surgery outcome. He initially assumed I would complete radiation. After interviewing the first RO I was disappointed in the lack of 'alternatives' discussion, if I hadn't read the NCCN guidelines they might have skipped the discussion. Only after requesting additional opinions, and getting percentages similar to yours, was I able to work to a decision. The main reason I took the higher risk route was my existing oral condition. I didn't have the gift of naturally good teeth, I had just done periodontal work, and some gum restoration, and I want to do a bit more. It seemed like rads might be just enough to cost me my teeth within a few years, I really wanted to keep them much longer if possible. The surgeon confirmed he would do the regular screening for any sign of reoccurance, we met every 6 weeks for past 2 years, now it is every 10 weeks. He is very thorough with a scope down in the primary tumor area, as well as externally around neck and shoulders. As i look back 2 years it's hard to really sense if it was a reasonable trade off or somewhat short sighted.
Mike

Nov2011Tonsil Cancer Stage3 T1N1 HPV+, Non-smoker, slight drinker
Dec2011 Radical Tonsilectomy (TORS),
Jan2012 Neck Disection areas 2,3,4
Feb2012 Opinions from 5 RO's decision for No Rads/No Chemo
Jan2013 all clear at 1 year , continue regular check-ups
Jan2014 all clear at 2 years, less frequent check-ups
Jan2015 all clear at 3 years, MRI, chest x-ray, blood work all good