Update: I have exploratory surgery scheduled at University Hospitals (Case Western Reserve) for March 10. This will determine if I am even a candidate for the robotic surgery. Because of the radiation damage to my mouth, I can't open it that wide, so he won't know if he can use the robotic instruments until he actually tries to get in there. If the robotic is not an option, they will try the more "standard" surgery, which will involve opening up my jaw. My doctor is Dr. Rod Rezaee, who is the Director of Head and Neck Reconstructive Surgery at the Seidman Cancer Center at University Hospitals.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.