Fear does diminish over time. I too had no precursors for this disease. Hopefully they got it all and yes with most oral cancers the treatment thankfully isn't the long drawn out treatment of many other cancers but it can be just as life changing.

What I am about to say is just a heads up.

I tested cancer free in the nodes on my CT as well. Also on an MRI. My surgeon not only removed my tongue tumor but also removed 40 lymphnodes - just to be on the safe side. And sure enough I had cancer in one of them. This cancer can seed to the nodes and NOT be picked up on a CT when it is at the microscopic stage.

That said - keep a close eye on your neck and get to know what is normal for your mouth.

Usually the highest incidence of recurrence is in the first 18mos - after that it's 3 years... and then 5 that are milestones.

As each of these dates pass things will slowly get easier. I am approaching the 3 year mark for my surgery in 3 weeks.

As with anything in life... there are no guarantees. Live your life and enjoy it.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan