Hi Rebecca,

Sorry about the situation, but glad to see that you found such a great resource as the people on this site. Your sister's situation sounds very similar to mine. I put off getting my dx for a while as well. I figured that at only 29 years old it had to be just a sore of some kind, couldn't possibly be the dreaded C. I'm sure at 18 that feeling was even stronger.

I have to agree with what was said earlier about making it known that breaking the jaw to get to her tongue should only be done if they can't get it all through the mouth once they get in the OR. I was lucky enough to not need my jaw split. (My wife is always telling me I have a big mouth.) One thing I learned during my hospital stay was that you have to be very clear on what YOU want to happen. No matter how authoritative the doctors sound, they are really just making reccomendations on treatment. Granted, these reccomendations are being made by very knowledgable people and should not be taken lightly, but YOUR treatment is always YOUR choice.

As far as eating after surgery is concerned. I found that my tastes didn't change until the chemo and radiation treatments started, which was 6 weeks after surgery. I had worked my way back up to eating about everything short of chips by that point. I've never appreciated a steak and blooming onion more.

I'm not gonna lie, it's going to be a rough rollercoaster ride. There are going to be good days and bad emotionally. Especially in the beginning it can be extremely overwhelming. Having a great support system makes a huge difference. If you or your sister have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask. Chances are, someone here has been through it.

Dan

Stage 4 SCC on right underside of tongue

DX on 7/19/13 at age 29, no tobacco, light drinking

Partial Glossectomy/reconstruction/neck disection 8/20/13
Temp Trach, PEG tube

4/59 lymph nodes cancerous, 1 with extracapsular extension

Chemo - Cisplatin - 3 treatments started on 10/01/13
Radiation - 33 treatments started on 10/02/13