Please check your messages. I have sent you info to help you with the forum. A signature is very important part of helping us to help you. This is fully explained in the private message (PM) Ive sent. Towards the top of the page, next to the My Stuff tab in the middle you should see a small flashing envelope, click on that to get your messages.

Most people who have had mandibulectomies do not pose for before and after photos so Im not surprised you havent be successful with finding photos. Its going to be a very long road for your sister. She needs to prepare herself for the possibility of looking different for at least the next year. Anything that is done can be changed after a minimum of one year of healing. Looks fade with age and they really arent as important as everyone thinks. It took me waking up disfigured to understand how unimportant looks are in the whole scheme of things. I would much rather be unattractive and be alive than be pretty. I have always been a very strong independent person so I adjusted easier than most people to my situation. It might be a good idea to have your sister seek out a therapist to begin working with to handle everything.

Right now she should focus on her nutrition and hydration intake. Every single day she needs to take in a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water for at least thru the next year, maybe 2. This will help her body to recover and get thru everything she is facing. At this point she should eat all her favorite foods and drinks, without worrying about gaining a few pounds. That probably would be a good idea to get a little extra weight on as she will most likely lose that plus more during all the upcoming treatments.

Best wishes to your sister with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma