I have a question about the removal of my PEG. I'm only two weeks post radiation, so it won't be any time very soon, but hoping sooner than later. I don't think I can handle just letting the dr pull it out of my stomach, so he said he will surgically remove while I'm knocked out. IF and it's a big IF I am ready on the 20th of November, he wants to take it out though my mouth bec I'm leaving out of state on the 23rd and he wants to avoid infection, if any. He says the worse ill have is a sore throat. Does anyone have experience with this, or an opinion? Honestly, I don't have a lot of faith in this dr, but he put it in and the office I go to thru my HMO says he should take it out. I know it's up to me, to risk infection or a sore throat, but part of me thinks he's more nervous about which way to go then I am! I had pblms when he inserted it bec it was too tight. (And he put the flange in upside down, which i guess is no big deal, but...) A week later I was dropping my son off at college in Indiana, had terrible pain and after a failed attempt to fix it in the emergency room, I drove to Chicago and my bro in law who is an emergency room dr, fixed it right there in his kitchen. Crazy.
I know it's my decision, but would love some feedback.

Nancy (53 at dx)
Metastatic SCC. Stage III. HPV positive with occult primary. N1, no ecs
7/1/11 - L-Selective neck dissection. Tonsillectomy. All clean. No rad, no chemo.
5/29/13 - Found primary
7/3/13 - TORS
7/8/13 - Emergency Surgery/Blood vessel burst in throat
8/9/13 - Peg in
9/3/13 - Radiation starts 30 IMRT, 60gy BOT, 56gy both sides of neck
10/14/13 - Radiation ended!
11/12/13 - PEG out!