Posted By: ngk PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 02:40 AM
I have a question about the removal of my PEG. I'm only two weeks post radiation, so it won't be any time very soon, but hoping sooner than later. I don't think I can handle just letting the dr pull it out of my stomach, so he said he will surgically remove while I'm knocked out. IF and it's a big IF I am ready on the 20th of November, he wants to take it out though my mouth bec I'm leaving out of state on the 23rd and he wants to avoid infection, if any. He says the worse ill have is a sore throat. Does anyone have experience with this, or an opinion? Honestly, I don't have a lot of faith in this dr, but he put it in and the office I go to thru my HMO says he should take it out. I know it's up to me, to risk infection or a sore throat, but part of me thinks he's more nervous about which way to go then I am! I had pblms when he inserted it bec it was too tight. (And he put the flange in upside down, which i guess is no big deal, but...) A week later I was dropping my son off at college in Indiana, had terrible pain and after a failed attempt to fix it in the emergency room, I drove to Chicago and my bro in law who is an emergency room dr, fixed it right there in his kitchen. Crazy.
I know it's my decision, but would love some feedback.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 02:56 AM
Hi Nancy, PEG removal is really a very simple procedure.
Deflate the ballon and pull out. It's all over in 30 seconds. Why would your doc want to remove this through your mouth? I can't fathom that one.
I remove Kris's PEG every 3 months - then put a new one straight back in.
When Kris had his original PEG ( inserted 3 years ago ) removed he was booked in to the operating room. But all they did was deflate the balloon and tug it on out. No sedation given or necessary.
Try not to stress about this. I'm sure others will chime in and reiterate my thoughts.
Tammy
Posted By: JamesD Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 10:44 AM
I had mine pulled 2 weeks ago and endured a brief burning sensation (30 seconds) and then felt like I took a punch. That lasted for 20 minutes. Having it out made that very tolerable. I refused to go back to the flake that installed and my MO took care of it. Either way you will have some pain but tolerable pulled.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 12:45 PM
Having a PEG removed thru the mouth is something Ive never heard of on the forum. Everybody else just braces themselves and then YANK. You can do this!!! Im the biggest wimp with pain there is and I was able to handle it. You hurt for maybe 30 seconds then its over and you feel instantly better. This procedure is not worth going under anesthesia for. I cant imagine the doc doing it thru the mouth, especially after what you have been thru with rads. There is no rush to get the tube out, until you can sustain yourself for at least one month without using it, then dont even consider taking it out.
Posted By: travelottie Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 04:15 PM
It does not make any sense to surgically remove something that can be simply deflated and puled out. What about the risks of general anesthesia?
Frankly, I would question this physician's judgement.

In addition, as Christine said, there is no rush to remove it. If there is no problem with the tube, our RO recommended waiting until first clear scan, or at least until diet, weight, & strength were stable.

Lottie
Posted By: ngk Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 04:44 PM
Yeah the whole mouth thing didn't make sense. But in my dr's defense I wanted it surgically removed. I wanted to have it surgically removed bec I'm a wreck over having it pulled out, especially by him.
I don't see why they can't give me a shot to numb the area first?????
This stupid procedure is taking over my thought life. Easy enough to day don't let it, but sadly it is frown embarrassing but true I'm on anxiety meds bec of it.
On a happier note, I really feel I have less mucous today than yesterday. I always like to leave my worries with at least one silver lining smile
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 09:20 PM
Take some pain reliever prior to going for the removal.
Posted By: JamesD Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 10:36 PM
You will be OK
Posted By: debandbill Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-27-2013 11:29 PM
By the time you have shots to the area...the PEG will be out and the pain will be subsiding.

Honestly, it is over in about 30 seconds!
Posted By: ngk Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-28-2013 01:20 AM
I think I'm convinced. Thing is my dr never mentioned shots, or numbing. I also think I should see if there is another dr I can go to through my HMO to get it removed. Many thanks.
Posted By: KP5 Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-28-2013 02:41 AM
It just slides out. No pain at all according to Kevin. We were in the RO's office. I watched. No big deal at all.
Kathy
Posted By: ngk Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-28-2013 03:44 AM
I guess some people can tolerate pain better than others. Mine is super sensitive still and it's been in since August. Always goopy and I have to use antibacterial soap s few times a week, plus once a week with hydrogen peroxide. I'm trying to psyche myself up.
Posted By: mikejwoodnz Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-28-2013 09:50 AM
It sounds to me you should be washing around your PEG daily also uses a smear of an antiseptic like Fucicort. I have just had my PEG removed and replaced with a Mi-key - no anesthetic no pain no issue - you will be just fine :-)
Posted By: ngk Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-28-2013 01:47 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, and I do wash daily with antiseptic soap and use some neosporin too. I will can check into fucicort. I think on top of being a wreck about it, bottom line... I just don't trust the dr. and that's an issue I'm going to have to resolve.
Posted By: debandbill Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-28-2013 02:17 PM
OK...everybody needs to remember that different PEGs have different terminations inside. There are the ones with the deflatable balloons and then there are some with more rigid ends that need to be pulled out. These are the ones that are momentarily painful.

Bill's was pulled by an RN at our Moffitt appointment. She was sent in by our doctor there to do the dirty deed. I had to turn my head but looked back immediately after it was out and Bill was simply sitting there seemingly glad it was out and not in any real pain. There was a little seepage at the site for about a day and then it healed up with no other problems.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: PEG Tube Removal - 10-28-2013 02:46 PM

I think the mouth connotation might have to do with removing it so soon. He probably feels you'll be eating okay by that time with only minor pain so it's okay to remove it. That is what I would have gathered from that - there is minimal pain involved - I was tempted to save the trip down to the hospital and do it myself smile but I relented and had them remove it... Literally as everyone else said - a 30 second procedure. If it's sensitive at this point the pain may be a little more intense when they immediately remove it (we all have our own pain tolerance -- but is much faster and easier coming out than going in. it's a lot like a splinter, irritating and sensitive while in, but usually almost immediately much better when removed. I really only felt a tug.

Hugs... You'll be fine.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum