We met our final (5th opinion!) oncologist last week and also did a PET/CT scan again to see where the tumor is at.

Different from the previous 4 doc's, this one in particular was very keen to get Jen started on the Chemotherapy which we have our reservations on. Her recommended treatment was Erbitux + 5-fu + Cisplatin over 6 cycles as a means of trying to keep the cancer at bay. From the literature, it is a brutal regime with slightly over a 35% response rate with a PFS of only 4 months even if it works.

I know that everyone responds differently and statistics are only statistics but please note that the best case scenario is not a cure but a means of extending life at the expensive of quality of life - something we still have at the moment with Jen's symptoms very minimal. Hence, although some of you may be baffled with us playing the wait and see game - the view of using chemo & radiation as a means of palliative care has been shared by 4 doctors spanning across 4 very well known cancer hospitals in Australia, Korea & in the UK.

Final decision on how we will move forward will depend on the results of this scan which we receive on the 12th of September and if there is no growth in the tumour or spread to other parts of the body, it will be most likely we will wait and see what happens and will continue on enjoying our days with Hunter & the family.

In the meantime, we have our little boys 1 year birthday tomorrow which we plan to make the most of with our friends & family. I would love to say that we as a family will be able to enjoy at least another 5 of these together but it pains me to think that the odds of this happening are stacked against us..

All the more to enjoy and make sure we make the most of this one!

Will keep you posted on the final plan once we have our next appointment in a few weeks time.

Jay, Jen & Hunter

6/8/12: Wife 33y/o with no risk dx with Stage IVa SCC L of Tongue(T4aN2bM0)
3/9/12: Induced birth @ 36 weeks - Baby Hunter!
11/9/12: OP - 3/4 Partial Gloss, Radical ND & Tongue Rec.
24/10/12: 33xRad + 7xChemo
7/12/12: Tx complete
21/3/13 & 21/6/13: NED
24/7/13: SCC in Lungs - OP: Lobectomy (VATS)
29/1/14 passed away