Hi Danbert, Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I have some thoughts that haven't been raised yet.

1. You will probably be warned to advise your Oncologist if you notice any tingling or numbness in your extremities. Take this seriously, pay attention to any strangeness you notice in your toes or fingers and tell your oncologist at once. These are warning signs that the chemo is causing neuropathy (killing nerve cells) and you want as little of this as you can get away with.

I've experienced a significant amount of neuropathy in my toes, and it's permanent. At my age, no big deal as I won't have to endure it for several decades, three years at most. But the thing is that I was looking for "tingling or numbness" and that's not what I got. What I got is "Strangeness" that can't be well described except to say that it feels a bit like my toes are being squeezed hard from the sides. I attributed it to my shoes(!) or the covers at night.

All of my chemo (cisplatin; carboplatin & Taxol/Taxetere; and lately, Xeloda (a pill form of a drug very similar to 5FU)) have cost me hearing losses. I was quick to tell my oncologist as soon as I noticed each loss, that's why I list "Taxol/Taxetere." I was changed from Taxol to Taxetere mid-course because the later has less neuropathy associated with it.

2. If you don't work out regularly, start ASAP. I have experienced massive nausea under Cisplatin (which you will probably start out with), but I was unable to work-out during the 6 months from dx to finally having my implanted mediport removed, and for 90 days, I could not retain more than a single bottle of Ensure plus (350 cal) any day. I went from a very solid 192 to 154 during that period.

I've had three recurrences, counting the one that showed up in June and for which I am now getting Xeloda again (Yea Pills!) None of it has caused me the least bit of nausea or made me feel bad in any way other than getting exhausted early at the gym.

And I'm 74.

And to follow up on Cheryld's advice, you need to start eating at least 2500 cal a day. Simply surviving this, healing and dealing with cancer treatments, requires huge energy expenditures. 'Nuff said.

Drink at least 64 oz water daily. That's a minimum. Like working out (any vigorous, I repeat, vigorous exercise elevates the metabolism and speeds the passage of the toxic chemicals from your treatment through the system. Water is needed in this process, drink lots of it. Get a 64 oz bottle and work on it all day.

Best of luck to you!

Bart

edit to give proper credit to Cheryld. Xin Loi.

Last edited by Bart; 07-20-2013 11:44 AM.

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!