Whew, so much info to digest from everyone! First off, thanks to all! Our ENT, who hails from Washington University School of Medicine and The Siteman Cancer center, chose the total neck disection because the PET scan showed one node as suspicious right near the tonsil. He takes the most aggressive approach with SCC Tonsil Cancer because he treats it so often. That node, along with all of the others were clear of cancer. Next he said that 60% of his patients, with no further involvement, could get by with no treatment and be fine. 30% would experience problems down the road. He put us with the 30% because of the tumor size at just on the mark for 4cm. They could not decide to stage him at 2 or 3. The oncologist determined it a 3, which meant the full monty. I understand that MD Anderson never does the surgery and only radiates and then chemo. Our ENT said he does not agree with that treatment. He has been at this over 17 years and we have to trust some of his advise, which is why we are now getting a second opinion! Yea of so little faith here!

Now on to the treatments. First it wss just radiation because the pathology showed no involvement anywhere else. Oncologist did not agree and tossed in the Erbitux. I was not aware that it is only used in clinical trials and now I am concerned why he chose this drug over the gold standard. I did ask about the drug and was told by our ENT that is has very few side effects and would be given only once a week, low dose for a few weeks. Of course, tomorrow will be the formal meeting with the Oncologist and I will question his choice of drug and why. We do get to decide and we are getting a second opinion at Siteman.

Your story is an inspiration, David! I want to come back on here and tell you that once this journey is behind us, it feels as if nothing ever happened!

Nancy

Wife, caregiver
Diagnosed 5-7-13
SCC right tonsil HPV+
No node or tissue involvement
Surgery 5-20-13 removed both tonsils, neck dissection
Pathology Clear of cancer, no other involvement
tumor right at 4cm, so was staged T3N0M0
Treatments suggested both radiation and chemo
Have not begun that journey