Hello, my name is Nancy and we are from St Louis. My 62 yr old husband was diagnosed with HPV right tonsil cancer about a month ago. For almost a year he had a cough, feeling of a lump in his throat and a sore throat. Had an Endoscopy which showed nothing. Saw his internist who suggested acid refluz and sent him to an ENT. First visit and the doctor took a biopsy and felt certain it was tonsil cancer. Chest x-ray, CAT and PET scans followed. Biopsy positive for HPV cancer, but the other tests were clear. Within a week my husband had both tonsils removed, 40 nodes and lots of surrounding tissue. The pathology came back completely clean except for the right tonsil. Margins were all clear, no other involvement. The tumor was just at 4cm, so they decided to call it stage 3. Six weeks of radiation along with a once weekly low dose of Erbitux has been proposed by the group with our ENT. We are getting a second opinion from The Siteman Cancer Center next week. Recovery from the surgery went very well, but we were only expecting to have radiation. The chemo was just brought up this week as a boost to the radiation. Trying to work through all of this in such a short period of time. Everything changed in an instant and there is so much to learn. I am thrilled to have found this forum and hope to find support and be able to offer help and support as time goes on.

Wife, caregiver
Diagnosed 5-7-13
SCC right tonsil HPV+
No node or tissue involvement
Surgery 5-20-13 removed both tonsils, neck dissection
Pathology Clear of cancer, no other involvement
tumor right at 4cm, so was staged T3N0M0
Treatments suggested both radiation and chemo
Have not begun that journey