Sorry he has SCC but I'm more sorry that he probably under went an unnecessary neck dissection. It's a shame that ENT's (neck surgeons) still want to do ND's when the radiation and chemo, which he was going to get anyway, would have killed the cancer especially with a HPV+ biopsy.

Well on to the next phase. This site will prove invaluable for the next 2 years. Use it as often as you want. No questions are prohibited. No questions are too small. No complaining is unwelcome. We have been there and collectively we can answer just about anything you may encounter. This applies to your husband and you his valuable Caregiver.

There are a few things that I recommend prior to and during his Tx.

During a forthcoming blood draw ask them to test his TSH and record that "normal" level just in case you need it post TX as his radiation field may include his Thyroid and damage it beyond it's repair capabilities.

Have him get to a dentist with oral cancer experience. Have him checked over to see if any fillings need to be replaced or any other dental work needs to be done pre radiation and have him fitted for Fluoride Trays and begin using them asap. I started using mine 1 month pre Tx and 5 years post Tx.

He will get fitted for a mask that will literally bolt his head down to the rad table. Most find this confining and some even need something to relax them while bolted down and others adjust quickly. Just prepare him.

Have him eat ALL his favorite foods as if he's in a eating contest. Forget about calories or fat, just enjoy. He will lose his taste fairly quickly and it won't return until many many months post Tx.

If he is advised to get a PEG pre TX consult this site as we have VAST experience with our PEG WARS, i.e. some really think it's a blessing and some, like me, thinks there's an alternative that's better.

During Tx he will lose his taste and then his throat will become very sore making swallowing very difficult. In spite of this it's critically important for him to consume at least 2500 to 3000 cals and 48 ozs of water EACH and EVERY Day. Making sure the patient does this historically falls on the Caregiver's shoulders so be prepared to be the "Nurse from Hell" when it' becomes necessary.

Look all of us can react differently to this Tx. Some go through this Tx as if it's a walk in park; others have problems from day 1 but the vast majority of us start to have problems around week 4 or 5 and we get progressively worse until around week 3 POST Tx. I'm not telling you some of these things to scare you but just to prepare you and him because if he encounters any of these problems just know IT'S NORMAL and you 2 will get thru this.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.