After having been told the following at different doctor visits -- the throat is still quite swollen from the treatment (7 weeks post treatment), the swallowing muscles are intact (12 weeks post Tx), the epiglottis is still swollen and is the cause of aspiration (15 weeks post Tx)-- my husband finally got his swallowing assessment today. I sat in the control room together with the SLP and I was shown how the liquid was pooling at the upper esophagus and not going anywhere. The epiglottis still didn't close perfectly but that was not the major cause of the swallowing difficulties.

Tomorrow we are scheduled to see the RO and I will be asking questions about treatment options with regards to the swallowing. It has been a frustrating five and a half months trying to push the doctors to recommend a swallowing assessment and to actually get in to see the SLP (John got in today instead of end of July because I argued hard for a place on the SLP's cancellation list).

There are days when I feel I am running out of steam. Coming on to the forum has been such a great help to me because it is a constant reminder that patients and caregivers must advocate for themselves.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.