Paul,

Thanks for pointing out that study which I had not read but reading their study and their conclusion they state:

"In conclusion, alternate schedule with weekly cisplatin
during radiotherapy is as effective as three weekly
cisplatin with respect total Overall Survival (OS), locoregional/systemic relapse
rates. Last but not least, we were
not able to show that alternate regimen was less toxic than
standard regimen (standard = the 3 Big Bag Method). However, our study did not include
whole toxicity parameters which would be needed to reach
firm conclusion about treatment toxicity."

They explained which toxicities they were not able to study as follows:

"However, we did not use
any parameter that was accepted as �cumulative high dose�
cisplatin toxicity such as frequency of marked nausea and
vomiting, peripheral neuropathy, and hearing loss in both
groups and treatment cessation rate due to mentioned
toxicities. This was the weakness of current study."

To me those are critical toxicities which when added to the rest of the problems associated with cisplatin (the ones they did compare) really need to be compared to form a total toxicity comparison.

When I mentioned that those on this site seemed to have fared better with the weekly regimen I did so with the total toxicity in mind. JM2C's

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.