Weekly Cisplatin Vs Standard Therapy of Three Weekly Cisplatin in Concurrent Chemotherapy of Head and Neck Cancer:

http://apocpcontrol.com/paper_file/issue_abs/Volume12_No5/1185-88%20c%204.1%20Fatih%20Kose.pdf

In this study, weekly cisplatin has slightly more toxicities than the three weekly cisplatin, but weekly had better overall survival.

To add to the above posts, a baseline eye exam, kidney function, and if there is any pins and needle sensations in the hands or feet to tell the doctor, which may be a sign of neuropathy, which may not be reversable if not dealt with. They may lower the speed of infusion, lower the dose, and in some cases, eliminate a chemo.

Oral care is important. DF should have a dental oncologist on their team to check you teeth. Any in need of repair should be done before trestment. If any are in disrepair they need to be extracted at least several weeks prior to treatment for adequate healing. Brushing, and rinsing after each meal, before bed, flossing too, if it doesnt cut the gum. The stanadrad rince is warm salted water mixed with baking soda. I used that, Biotene dry mouth rinse, no alcohol & Magic Mouthwash. They say rinsing with Gulatamine powder is also good for repair of the mucosal lining in the mouth, digestive tract and stomach, for the neuropathy too, if swallowed. They sell them in health food store or vatamin shops.

The RO will give instructions for care of your neck, and mouth too. I was told to use Aquaphor on my neck daily, but not before having radiation treatment. I used Cetaphil another time, and liked that. Some RO's do hydration infusions, if needed, mine did, and did a power spray cleaning of the mouth with I believe was a saline solution, not sure.

As Christine mentioned, adequate hydration is important, and also helps eliminate the chemo from the body.

The speech and swallow therapist will give instructions, exercises to help maintain chewing, swallowing, and range of motion

The nutritionist will advise how many calories to eat to maintain weight, and adequate nutrition, hydration.

There is plenty of other things, but he will find out as he goes along, and can ask.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo