Hi D,
I checked the manufacturers site for Zofran and it is not indicated past days 2 and 3. I found another site that claims not to use it past 5 days. The manufacturers data suggest that it is 61% effective. Many consider Zofran to be a "miracle" drug for controlling nausea in cancer patients due to chemo and/or radiation. I used it and it worked well for me to a point.

Maybe some of the doctors on the OCF board would like to comment.

Fentanyl: It is common to have drowsiness when first taking this but after a few days that will pass. Fentanyl is a very effective long term synthetic opioid, about 30 times more potent than morphine with much less side effects (especially nausea). It can cause severe constipation so measures should be take to counteract that.

I used the patches and they worked very well for me. I did have problems with constipation and had to manage that. Constipation problems are common to ALL pain medications however.

There are many interesting things about Fentanyl and you should talk to your pharmacist for warnings, cautions and precautions. It has been called the "Queen Mary" of pain meds.

Remember that we all respond differently to medications because of a wide range of variables. I suggest having a discussion with the pharmacist to detail your concerns about these. Bring a list of any other medications being taken for the pharmacist also.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)