Hi everyone,

With the exception of endless exhaustion (to the point that she falls asleep at the drop of a hat), my Mom was doing really well on her week off -- until today. Immediately after giving her the meds through her g-tube (Diflucan, Augmentin and Zofran) she vomited several times. I hydrated her through her port and she was okay for about four hours. Then it all started again, she got sick 8 times this afternoon. I picked up a supository which, so far, has eliminated the vomiting for the past four hours, but the nausea still exists. We just tried another supository and fed her 1/2 can of Ensure through her g-tube. So far, so good. My confusion is because it seems that just about the time I think I have things under control, I am proven wrong. As of tomorrow, I am going to try giving her meds separately: Zofran first, then the others, or perhaps food before the other meds. Does anyone have any feedback as to what has worked for you or your loved one when it comes to controlling med induced nausea/vomiting?
I could be wrong though, perhaps this whole thing has been brought on from last week's treatment (third week of chemoradiotherapy). I tried to get some help from the hospital, but the doc didn't return my page and the nurse said my plan sounded like a good idea. Whatever. I hope it works. Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks. Oh, one more thing, her Fentanyl patch was increased from 25 mg to 75 mg last Friday, but she didn't have any adverse reaction...so I doubt that's the culprit. The only thing I believe is that the Fentanyl and Dilaudid are sources of exhaustion.
Your friend,
D

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.