It is hard to eliminate all of the nausea and vomiting. I think your idea sounds like a good one about taking the anti-nausea meds first and allowing time for it to be absorbed before anything else. Remember also that Zofran is only effective for the 1st 72 hours, after that you must switch to another antiemetic. You can also press an Ativan into the suppository and that works pretty well also. You didn't mention pain meds - they will cause constipation and that will also cause nausea and vomiting. Also, I took an industrial strength antacid pill Pepcid (AKA Famotidine) and that helped also. Radiation can cause an acid buildup and negatively impacts the gastro intestional system.

I threw up a lot toward the end of radiation and chemo - it comes with the territory. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Ask the doctor to fine tune the anti-nausea meds. I also had Reglan, Compazine and Ativan besides the Zofran and there is another drug that is supposedly as strong as Zofran -ask your doctor or pharmacist.

We are all different so you will need to find a method and meds that will work for you but don't have expectations of complete success.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)