Paul

Nothing by mouth. no water, no food. I was bound and determined to swallow so kept getting therapy and exercises for almost a year, including that electrical stimulation, VitalStim but after failing 4 MBS, my SLP said it just wasn't working due to having that second round of radiation hitting the surgery damage.

I did try early on to put food in just for the taste and then "spit it out'. Only problem was that it didn't come out. so I ended up with food particles stuck in the varicula and slowly coming out all day. Not good for the teeth.

This last round of TX made everyting worse. My mouth is constantly awash with sticky stringy mucous that gags me. Plus some of it seems to be reflux food which will be a dental problem. I've never been so miserable in the five years as with these side effects. They are what put me in the hospital two weeks ago. While I can finally vomit for the first time, it seems to be just one way as I still can't swallow. I'm waking up choking every hour or so at night this last week so that's not helping. I see my ENT this week, but not sure what can be done here except wait till it subsides as it has done before. Just taking forever
Thanks for asking.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 02-24-2013 03:31 PM. Reason: added ENT visit

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13