Hi Linda,

Yes, I can talk most of the time although not very loud. I am easily understood. The tone of the voice is very low, but I was always a second alto to 1st base range anyway. I wouldn't want to try to talk for very long, but there are people who still teach school etc.

I have what is called a TEP, a transesaphageal puncture, which is a small incision between the back wall of the trach and the esaphagus. There is a small plastic prosthesis with flap on the esaphagus side of it that allows you to speak. When you cover the trach hole with your finger, it forces the air up your esaphagus and allows you to speak. The other options are an electromagnetic device(not easily understandable) or esaphgeal speech which is good but difficult to learn.

The TEP is the easy way out but not everyone is eligible. Sometimes the surgery fails. The TEP is great when it works, but then there are times when it gets stuck open and you wind up pouring coffee down your lungs (cough, cough) or it gets stuck closed and you can't talk.

Not only is there the speech problem, but you have this hole in your neck so you can no longer swim, surf, snorkle. You lose most of your sense of smell. You can't sing at all. I used to love to harmonize. Hopefully, you are not going to have to walk in my shoes, but I have noone to blame but myself.

So, have I convinced you to put THOSE D..M CIGS in the trash can yet?

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I