Stacey

I sad that your concern was dismissed. It's just my opinion, but based on what my endocrinologist (a doctor who specializes in hormones including Thyroid issues) says, and my own personal experience, that doctor is wrong in thinking that it is not important to know your husbands TSH level now. It's a common error, they even made it at my CCC, where I had a major argument with my doctors until they admitted that they did not keep up on the changes in the acceptable TSH lab work range, nor had they read that every professional society of endocrinologists felt that the lab ranges were too broad, nor did they have any defensible medical citations that said an individual should not have the same TSH level after radiation. I asked for specific citations and sources they relied upon and of course, there are none to support their position except a vague recollection of medical school and their current practice.
You are within your rights to demand, not ask about that they check two little boxes on the blood test form.
They do not have to agree with you, they do not have to do anything but get that baseline number for you now.
Because 18 months from now, that doctor will just look at the blood tests and say" It's withing normal range" without knowing what's normal for your husband. (By the way, the NCI guidelines on page MS-10 that Maria posted for you say that the thyroid test should be done 6 months and 12 months after the radiation, guess your doctor misread them and added them)
Since most people do not have experience in cross examining a doctor until they blush and admit error, your best bet is to sak politely to have the TSH test done and the actual number given to you. It can not hurt. You can say you'll feel better if you know that number. The other alternative is to contact the Patient Advocate at the hospital where you husband is being treated and just repeat your request to have one simple blood test done now, making it clear that you do not want or need the doctor to change anything or do anything different except gather an important piece of information on your husband.
It is arrogant and rude in my opinion to do another blood test on your husband and ignore your TSH request. Seriously, call the patient advocate
Charm,

Last edited by Charm2017; 12-12-2012 07:58 AM. Reason: added guideline error of doctor

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13