Hi Bette, sorry re the delay in replying. My son got married yesterday.
Kris had no reconstruction on the outside of his face. However he had major reconstruction in his mouth and pharynx and extensive bilateral radical neck dissections. Luckily there was no nodal involvement.
Kris did not have a partial glossectomy. His was a total glossectomy. His tumour extended down into his vocal chords hence he also had a laryngectomy.
I also feel very alone on here as no one else seems to have had this extensive surgery. It certainly has huge implications on life and the recovery is slow and difficult. But, we are getting there. You guys will too.
Kris has had the TEP for 10 days now. Another learning course. At the moment he often sounds as though he is underwater. He has gone from extreme dry mouth to now, having excess oral secretions. This has been since the surgery. I wonder if the flap is sweating in the closed hot environment of his mouth? Mostly I can understand him but he does have to dry his mouth out first. We see the surgeon again this week so will check with him.
Truly Kris has no obvious visible scarring or disfigurement.
I know all will go well for your husband and I look forward to hearing how you are both getting on. Message me anytime you think I can help or if you are concerned etc.
Tammy.

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!