It will not be possible for your mother in law to be removed from the hospital only 2 days after this type of surgery. He needs to understand the severity and complexity of an operation like this. She needs medical care and may be in ICU. I was kept there for 3 weeks then moved to the burn unit for about another week to 10 days so I would still receive more attentive nursing care. There is no way possible she will be ready to come out of the hospital even in 5 days. If I had to make and educated guess based on what I went thru and what Ive seen others here go thru I would guess she will be in the hospital for at least 3 weeks.

I would suggest if cost is an issue to track down the hospitals financial department and talk this over with them. Maybe this has already been done but if not do it right away. Many hospitals have charity programs that will pick up the cost of treatment for low to moderate income patients. Many also hide these programs and if you dont ask you dont get. I ended up needing some help and got a discount on my health care but if I hadnt asked I would never have been given a break. This goes for major hospitals too not just small regional facilities.

I know you care deeply about your mother in law or you wouldnt be here trying to get help and find info to better understand her health. Its not the best situation at all she is in. A mandibulectomy can be rough. I know I wouldnt want to ever go thru it again. My recovery took a year but I had problems most patients dont go thru. Other patients have had it easier but still are in the hospital for 2 weeks. Keep up the good work with asking questions, we will be here to help guide you thru this.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma