Thanks, everyone. The audiology testing showed high frequency hearing loss consistent with my age (58), but I wonder how much of the "loss" is really my being unable to hear frequencies that happen to be the same as the steady "whoosh" I hear as my tinnitus. Anyhow, my doc reports that testing done to date gives cisplatin the edge over carboplatin in terms of efficacy for oral cancers (though not all cancers), and wanted to stay with that, but monitor me closely for neuropathy. Is not what I wanted to hear, but I guess killing cancer better is worth the risk. He says the risk is low because the dosage will be lower than in other cancers. I also noted that the literature on carboplatin also lists neurotoxicity as a risk, though less so that with cisplatin.

Had my run-through yesterday in preparation for the real radiation that begins the day after tomorrow. Run-thorugh was uneventful, handled it better than I thought, perhaps the 1/2 mg ativan helped. They are going to cut a hole in the mask around the mouthpiece as several here have suggested, which will increase at least my psychological discomfort. Then another pt in the waiting room said they had been momentarily unable to release his mask when the treatment was over; when I asked if I should bring a crowbar to my first session he was quick to say it was momentary and that techs were on top of the problem. I shall try to visualize the mask as my friend, holding me still for maximum benefit...

Chemo starts tomorrow too, first of two sessions three weeks apart, they tell me I will be there 6-7 hours for that. Is one able and up to doing anything to pass that time? Like read or watch TV? Or is one too affected by the drugs etc? Thanks.

Ed H, NE Ohio
SCC BOT with lymph node involvement, HPV+, diagnosed 7/12
Radiation and Cisplatin