Ed,

I am a tad surprised that knowing you are already have "hearing issues" that they still recommend Cis vs Carbo. I realize that no studies have been done to compare the 2 AND Cis is the "Gold Standard" for our Tx but I was told (unfortunately after Cis damaged my hearing) that had (my MO) known that my hearing was being damaged he would have switched me to Carbo because "it's just as effective as Cis but without the nasty side effects." His words exactly. Certaintly begs the obvious question...so why didn't you just start me off with Carbo, you idiot?

Almost everyone has issues with that darn mask at first. Some more than others. My heart started pounding like it was going to explode out of my chest that first time they clamped me down but the next time I was more mentally prepared and I just coped. As Anne-Marie said Moffitt allowed me to bring my own CD's and I had them crank it up as loud as they would allow and it helped pass the time.

Has your dentist made the Fluoride Trays yet? I started using mine 1 month pre Tx and continued to use them 5 years post Tx until my dentist said I could stop.

Have your TSH check your next blood draw and save the results in case your thyroid craps out.

I don't care what your BMI is, eat everything in sight from now until you don't want to anymore. You will loose your taste fairly quickly and it won't recover until post Tx. During and post Tx set your goal at consuming 3000 cals and 48 ozs of water each and every day. Eric aka Young Frack has done a lot of research into the nutrition side of our Tx so I'm sure he'll add his recommendations.

Things will start off slow and you may even think this Tx will be a breeze but after about the second Cis bag and the first 15 rads most of us feel the effects and they continue to get worse until about 3 weeks POST Tx. I only mention this just in case this happens to you so you realize this is NORMAL.

Glad you found this site as it will really be a blessing throughout your Tx and recovery so use it and use it often. Also encourage your caregiver it join as well.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.