I just finished Tx 8 weeks ago so I know where your husband is. This and the next two to three weeks post Tx is the worst of it so get geared up for it. I survived the thick mucus using flavored soda water available at Walmart. Swish it in the mouth and gargle it to cut through the thick mucus. It bubbles up and cuts it out of the back of the mouth.
NEXT: Use the anti nausea drugs on a scheduled basis to get it under control even with it I still had nausea. The pain meds will slow the passage of foods out of the stomach but don't get too worked up about it unless he just has like 30 to 50 cc's residual. Yes they say you need 5 to 7 cans of the liquid food daily. Hell I couldn't get 3 cans down for days. Yes I lost weight 52# to be exact. a friend of mine lost more than 60# ...everyone will I don't care what you do you just can't get that much stuff in without it backing up your throat. Be VERY careful if they recommend using Reglan to help move food out of the stomach ... the side effects are not good. Sleep sitting up in a recliner to avoid reflux. Use Miralax and /or Senokot ( for constipation ) daily the pain meds slow down the bowel.

ALSO
... Get a Rx for " Philadelphia "mouth wash ( swish and swallow ). It's a combination of Xylocaine, Liquid Benadryl and Maylox. You swish and swallow the stuff and it relieves the pain in the throat for a short time. AND MOST IMPORTANT........STAY AHEAD OF THE PAIN ! Take whatever it takes to be comfortable. For me it took a 75 mg Fentanyl patch and 8 to 10 mg of Dilaudid daily to do the trick. He doesn't need to be in that kind of pain.

Like I said I'm just coming out of the other end of this mess and will be glad to speak with you if you'd like. Send me a private message by clicking on my name and then on the drop down menu click "send PM".

Jack

Last edited by ChristineB; 06-06-2012 07:10 AM. Reason: removed personal telephone number

64 YO M Non Smoker ,light drinker Dx 11/11 SCC Stg IV BOT/L
Tx Carboplatin & Docetaxel weekly and Rad daily X 7 weeks
PEG in 2/12 out 6/12