I had to have physical therapy, also to help me raise my arm. It really did help. My therapist also gave me exercises to do at home. My ENT was reall good at referring me as soon as I told him that I was having problems. Pepper, I never smoked, either, and was a light social drinker. I was also negative for HPV. My ENT told me that he has seen a number of women my age who are getting this, but it seems to be no reason why. His theory is that it might be some sort of virus, one that hasn't even been discovered yet. I was also very healthy. In fact the last time I had been a patient in a hospital was when my son was born, and he was 30 years old when I was diagnosed. Good luck, you have come to the right place for answers and support!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.